Just like every generation at your workplace has different communication preferences, they also often have different training preferences. The same set of resources that you use when training baby boomers might not transfer well when training millennials. What are some of the things that you should keep in mind when it comes to training your millennial workforce?
What to Know About Training Millennials at Your Business
- Make Learning On Demand: Just like millennials enjoy being able to stream anything they want whenever they want, making your eLearning course available on demand is a great way to keep them engaged and give them the flexibility they crave.
- Make It Bite-Sized: Attention spans today are short, and particularly in fast-paced workplaces where multi-tasking is common, bite-sized training is most effective. Break things down into smaller sections to maximize comprehension and the chances of it being completed in a timely fashion.
- Offer Ongoing Training: When training millennials, you can also offer ongoing training to keep them engaged in the long term. Setting a big goal that keeps them motivated can be better than setting many small goals in a short span of time.
- Experiment with Gamification: Gamification is the art of turning something that might be otherwise dull, like training, into a game. Training millennials effectively means appealing to their interests and comfort zone, and playing games is one of them! Don’t be afraid to experiment with adding a game element into your eLearning course.
- Incorporate Video: Video is much more popular than other types of media, and it can be seen all around us from TikTok to YouTube. If you don’t incorporate video when training millennials, you are missing out on one of the best ways to capture their interest and get them immediately invested.
- Allow for Self-Study: Finally, know that training millennials means allowing some time for them to find things out on their own. Most millennials are used to seeking out information quickly to find out more, so allow them to take things at their own pace and research elsewhere when possible.
Get Help Training Millennials Effectively from Zenith Performance Solutions
Zenith Performance Solutions wants to transform the ways that you and your employees learn and help motivate your employees. We offer a comprehensive range of training course design services, including updating existing courses and consulting. We work with companies of every size to create innovative and instructionally sound materials that boost employee performance and satisfy your objectives. To learn more, please contact us by calling (970) 409-4013.